We need your support
Awake & Shine Primary School
The School was started in 2007, from the personal resources of Lt Gen (Retd) J. M (“Jimmy”) Singh.
General “Jimmy” Singh, donated funds for the infrastructure. The School was built in phases. 7 class rooms with allied facilities came up in seven years. The Awake & Shine School is a “Not for profit” institution. The operating expenses of the school were provided initially by General “ Jimmy” Singh, and subsequently by the Awake and shine Charitable Trust, by mobilizing sponsors offering scholarships.
The Awake & shine School has acted as a bridge to bring together sponsors and parents. This enables sponsors to remit scholarship amount to parents of individual children directly. Thus the parents were empowered to contribute for the education of their children. All the sponsorship offers came from tourist guests. Sponsors were convinced about our intent and the quality of education we were providing to the children, and were happy to make contributions.
Additional donations are received from some funds generated from paying guests staying at Samthar Farm House and Gurudongma House, Kalimpong –two properties owned by General Singh.
Currently parents are contributing 15 % of the expenses, whilst the balance comes from individual scholarships. The cost per child per year is INR 12000/-
Future fund raising requirements for the next stage of development:
- Increase in salaries of teaching staff.
- Complete the school infrastructure. The missing links are auditorium, art and craft centre, and a computer centre..
- Develop the Awake & Shine School, Samthar, as a resource centre for quality rural education . This will involve setting up a wing for research in teaching methodology, and for training of rural teachers.
- Create a scholarship fund to support the post - primary education of deserving children at English medium Schools at Kalimpong and surrounds.
- In the long term to progressively replicate the Awake & Shine School model to establish more such schools to bring quality education at the foundation level to remote regions.
We are looking for CSR partners to meet our funding arrangements.